Login    Register

SETI@home

Old Posts, read-only

Moderator: Letter3

• Author
SETI@home

Postby Bodknocks » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:48 pm

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

I've recently started using this distributed computing project. For those of you who don't know what they are, basically when your computer falls asleep or when you're not home this program called BOINC will use unused CPU processes to do complex mathematical problems, or analyze huge amounts of data. Even better, if you have a nice new graphics card you can do MUCH more work. From Wikipedia:

In essence BOINC is software that can use the unused CPU and GPU cycles on a computer to do scientific computing—what one individual doesn't use of his/her computer, BOINC uses. In late 2008, BOINC's official website[6] announced that NVIDIA (a leading GPU manufacturer) had developed a system called CUDA that uses GPUs for scientific computing. With NVIDIA's assistance, some BOINC-based projects now have applications that run on NVIDIA GPUs using CUDA. These applications run from 2X to 10X faster than the former CPU-only versions.

You can use BOINC to do tons of different things. For example, folding@home does complex protein folding and is one of the most popular ones because every Playstation 3 does folding@home when not in use. Other ones try to work on unsolved mathematical problems, or map the human brain for artificial intelligence studies. There are dozens of them but one of the most popular is SETI@home. SETI is the Search For Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence, the once government funded (now privately funded) research group that searches for radiowaves in space to detect signs of intelligent life. Use your extra resources when you're asleep/not home/not gaming to search for extra-terristrials, so that when we find them, you can tell your grandchildren someday that you helped discover our Alien Overlords right before being rushed off into their slaver ships!

Anyone used @home programs before? Heard of them? Interested?
Bodknocks
Barney Calhoun

Re: SETI@home

Postby Letter3 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Yes, I have looked into the Nvidia software that they made for their graphics cards, but just never pursued it. I have also looked into the PS3's folding@home, but because of where the PS3 was, never wanted it to get too hot.

There are some nights when I leave my cpu on though, so maybe i'll try it.

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Bodknocks » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:17 pm

We could get egg to do folding. A server that runs Counter Strike and cures cancer!
Bodknocks
Barney Calhoun

Postby Letter3 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Bodknocks wrote:We could get egg to do folding. A server that runs Counter Strike and cures cancer!

I like it, at least Egg could be doing something all day.

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Psychopomp » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:54 pm

yeah that would be an excellent thing for Egg
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Psychopomp
Demoman

Return to Archive