[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Arrested Development Clan • View topic - New Steam
 Login

New Steam

Video game topics including Yahtzee Reviews

Moderator: Psychopomp

• Author
New Steam

Postby Bodknocks » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:31 am

Today Valve released the beta client for steam. They also glitched most people's friends list so they had no friends and patched a bug into TF2 where pipes go straight through player models. Oh Valve! Anyway I don't know if any of you tried the closed beta but I went ahead and switched to the beta client today since it's open now.

I think everything looks much better overall, it definitely needed an overhaul of this magnitude. I think it's a little harder to navigate your games list but it might get better once I get used to it. It's really cool how you can see how many of your friends own each of your games and all that other stuff on your games list now. It's a lot of info to process but it seems cool. I also found it a little hard to navigate to my favorites and I'm still not sure how to bring up the server browser, but I'll figure that out later.

What are everybody's thoughts?

Bodknocks
Barney Calhoun

Re: New Steam

Postby mr. hungry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 pm

was this an update or what i havent noticed anything different here in the past couple of days
Hi mr. hungry may i call you so?
mr. hungry
Infected

Postby Letter3 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:56 pm

You have to go to Settings in Steam and Beta opportunities and Opt In, then restart Steam.

And just like that you are going to be as lost as I am, lol

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Bodknocks » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:00 pm

I've heard that it is much more of a resource hog. People are reporting as much as 50% resources usage when scrolling your friends list. :shock:

I haven't noticed any performance issues personally... starting to get used to some of the weird features now.

Bodknocks
Barney Calhoun

Postby Letter3 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:23 pm

yeah it looks like it would use more resources; but most people who use steam can probably handle a 50% resource increase; considering they have been running the old steam for years.

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Spectre » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:20 pm

so is this a good idea or not? idk if genevive could handle 50% of her resources being used just by a friends list lol. how do i check this out without actually switching it?
After five years I've died, and became an annoying cloud. Yep, that was worth it.
Spectre
Chell

Postby Bodknocks » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:46 pm

In your steam preferences go to the account tab and choose "UI Update". Steam will restart with the new beta gui. If you don't like it you can switch back.

Bodknocks
Barney Calhoun

Postby Spectre » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 pm

oh i see. figures it would be that simple lol. im not trying it tho. my beast of a machine is already losing its beastness. i shant make it worse.
After five years I've died, and became an annoying cloud. Yep, that was worth it.
Spectre
Chell

Return to Playtime Pizza Theater