[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Arrested Development Clan • View topic - Farcry 2 coming in October
 Login

Farcry 2 coming in October

Video game topics including Yahtzee Reviews

Moderator: Psychopomp

• Author
Re: Farcry 2 coming in October

Postby Slurms Mckenzie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:37 pm

quite a few people do have nice things to say about it:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... %20cry%202
I'm looking for the best american beef. Give me fifty burgers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAdC2GtvgRA
Slurms Mckenzie
Smoker

Postby rekon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Good call, I just bought it too.
^^ and that's the bottom line.

rekon
Corporal Adrian Shephard

Postby Spectre » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 pm

the original was the best
After five years I've died, and became an annoying cloud. Yep, that was worth it.
Spectre
Chell

Postby DeadDisco » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:45 pm

huh, I was being sarcastic. Doege hates that game and he's the last person I talked to about it. I really haven't heard anyone praise it all that much.
DeadDisco
Pit Worm

Postby Slurms Mckenzie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm looking for the best american beef. Give me fifty burgers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAdC2GtvgRA
Slurms Mckenzie
Smoker

Postby Letter3 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Auston is only one that I know of that actually beat the game, so I would put his opinion on your list of critics as well.

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Bodknocks » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:51 pm

It's probably worth $15. It's a good game with a myriad amount of shortcomings. It's like they did everything right from sound, to graphics, to gameplay, and then completely failed to execute a few basic tenets of good game design. The end result is a disappointment, but less so in that it is a bad game or isn't fun, but rather because there is so much potential for a good game and it just continues fall short again and again. A few very minor annoyances ruin the entire experience, which is a shame because it is really quite a good game that is completely weighed down by a couple horrible design features.

Bodknocks
Barney Calhoun

Postby rekon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:02 am

^^ and that's the bottom line.

rekon
Corporal Adrian Shephard

Postby Letter3 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 am

I bought my version from Steam and did not have any performance issues. I would suggest installing it on your Vista partition and trying it out. There are probably still bugs in your Windows 7 that are having issues with the game.

Hope you enjoy it. I kinda want to play it again. It's one of those games where taking breaks months at a time may help with the monotony.

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Bodknocks » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:58 pm

Hmm, since more people are buying this game and some are considering picking it back up, I thought I would try to help those of you who are attempting to get through this game by providing some pro tips and advice. Without further ado, I give you...

The Official Bodknocks FarCry 2 Spoiler-free Walkthrough (That is Awesome Because I'm Awesome):

I took lots of breaks playing FarCry 2. I bought it on pre-release but didn't beat it until last month, so for those who are struggling to get through it I would suggest playing it for several hours at a time, but taking a few days breaks in between sessions. When I finally buckled down and tried to beat the game, I ended up doing as much as I could in a single sitting, because it's extremely hard to get back into when you haven't played in a while.

The bus system is your best friend in this game. When you're free to do missions, always do the weapons missions first because they are super easy and all four (and the next four on map 2) are all exactly the same and only take a few minutes to complete if you take the bus and just wait to ambush the convoy. They are always optional but they unlock all the cool weapons in the game and the cool weapons were one of the only reasons this game was worth playing. Do assassin missions if you're short on diamonds and want to get a new weapon or something quickly, otherwise don't worry about them, the pay isn't as good as story missions and sometimes the victims will be in obscure locations. Honestly I don't know what the point of doing buddy missions is, I did a lot on map 1 and did zero on map 2 and I still don't know what the point is, you get no diamonds so IMO it's a waste of time. Reputation is worthless. However, it is sometimes worth doing what your buddy suggests to do on main missions, because sometimes they can make things easier for you. Other times they unnecessarily complete everything and I want to shoot them in the face because you get paid up front on those missions so doing a bunch of extra shit on top of the main job is pretty fucking pointless. Only bother looking for briefcases if you happen to notice them on your radar. It's worth pulling over just a second for one or two diamonds. It's not worth trekking through a rainy jungle at night for hours in search of one fucking diamond, especially considering main missions later on in the game will give you 30 or 40 diamonds per job.

Everyone's least favorite thing in the game is outposts. When accepting a mission, always take the bus to the nearest location. Then look at your map and plot out how you're going to get to your objective. I would say 60% of the time if you do this you'll have to fight no more than one outpost. Take short cuts off-road and sneak around the bushes at night to avoid outposts altogether if possible. Africa is apparently littered with cars that already have keys in the ignition so don't be afraid to hoof it if it means avoiding unnecessary confrontations. You'll always find a car soon enough. If your car gets messed up just take someone else's, it's a bit faster than repairing your own.

BUY BUY BUY good weapons and the upgrades for ammo/health. Here is a list of stuff I suggest buying in FarCry 2:

Secondary Weapons:
Eagle.50 - Ah the deagle. Overall good pistol, way better than the first couple of pistols you find and purchase. Most of the pistols in the game are total shit, not even worth using, I'd rather rush with the machete in most cases. The deag is ok, though I would suggest one of the following instead.

MAC-10 - the MAC-10 is badass in this game. In close range just iron sight, unload a clip, and they're dead. One of the biggest complaints about FarCry 2 is that there are these guys with wifebeaters walking around that can take like 6 bullets point blank to the chest and still come at you. The MAC-10 is nice because it's extremely high rate of fire will kill them regardless and you don't have to unload an entire magazine like you would with other pistols.

Flaregun - I know, lol, flare gun. It's actually pretty good. Extremely cheap, can get it early on, and the upgrades for it are like 1 diamond apiece. Think of it as carrying like 10 extra molotovs on you, except they have ridiculous range. Plus if you hit a baddie with it, he catches on fire and it's a one-hit kill.

Uzi - Better version of the MAC-10. Good replacement for it in the late game.

Grenade Launcher - Really good, but a lot of times I'd have the sniper rifle as my primary so it was much more nice to have a MAC-10 in case someone came in close range. Also worth noting that this is kinda broken in multiplayer, if you ever play FarCry 2's shitty multiplayer just get this weapon and spam it where there are enemies. Instant winnage.

Silent Pistol - Shitty gun, but hey it's the only quiet secondary weapon, plus you look like a badass when you execute people, or when you finish off wounded people on the ground. cap cap!

Primary Weapons:
AK-47 - It's the standard primary weapon I carried in the game. Not the best but you can get it pretty early and it's better than the first couple of guns. Also very accurate at mid to long range.

Springfield - This is where it's at right here baby. The first sniper rifle you get and IMO the best overall. Get this and the upgrades as fast as you can. There are better guns, even better sniper rifles, but this one is so badass I stuck with it almost the entire game.

Silent MP-5 - Not that great, but it's silent and can kill quickly from mid range. There aren't many opportunities to be sneaky in this game but when there are, this gun is the shit.

AS-50 - Gun is ridiculous. You can't get it until late in the game and it's expensive. Worth it if you can afford it.

Auto shotty - Forget what this one is called, SPAS or something? Anyway it's way better than the Homeland, and I guess it's alright I just didn't think it was worth giving up the AK or the Sniper Rifle for it. There are a lot of good Primary weapons and this one is just OK.

Special Weapons:
M-249 SAW - Most useful special weapon early on, because you never run out of bullets. Ammo can be a concern early on in the game. Iron sight + burst fire can kill pretty easily at mid to long range.

PKM - Better version of the SAW (at least I think so -- I might have them backwards, it's been a while...). Got it late in the game and acts pretty much the same as the other MG, just a little bit better in a few areas.

Rocket launcher(s), Mortar, Flamethrower - All pretty lame weapons IMO. With the rocket launchers, they are hard to aim and aren't very accurate, plus you only get like 3 rockets so good luck with that. Flamethrower is kind of fun but you end up hurting yourself more often than not. The Mortar is just plain stupid. I guess if you get good with it you could take out a lot of baddies from a really long distance but I found it to be pretty useless and hard to figure out so I stuck with the pew pew weapons.

Dart Rifle - THIS SHIT IS RIDICULOUS. The dart rifle is the most overpowered weapon in the game. I'm not even kidding. Unlike in multiplayer where it just slows people and makes them see blurry (once again: multiplayer sucks), the dart rifle in the single player is a one hit kill to any enemy, anywhere on the body. Shoot them in the arm, foot, wherever, and they will drop and not get back up. It's so ridiculous it's not even funny. I got it for shits and giggles late in the game and it became one of my favorite weapons. You get fifteen total darts, so if you aim well that's fifteen instant kills. It's deadly accurate too. But the best part about it is that it's silent. Unlike the Sniper rifle where people immediately gravitate towards your location, you can kill baddies from afar with the dart rifle and they'll have no idea where it's coming from. You can pick off half the outpost with darts before they find you. I used the dart rifle in the games finale along with the M5 and the silenced pistol. I'll tell you right now the dart rifle made life so much more easier.

Other stuff:
You want to buy Camo, advanced medical gear, and ammo upgrades as soon as possible. The cases are good too, I bought all three early in the game but they can probably wait until later. It's always good to have an AK in a case so you can swap it out for whatever it is you had, be it the M5 or the Springfield. Gun upgrades are good to buy. Manuals for fixing boats and cars = waste of diamonds.

THAT'S ALL. Follow my awesome guide here and you should be able to beat the game without quitting in frustration. Good luck!

Bodknocks
Barney Calhoun

Previous

Return to Playtime Pizza Theater