[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Arrested Development Clan • View topic - Heavy Rain
 Login

Heavy Rain

Video game topics including Yahtzee Reviews

Moderator: Psychopomp

• Author
Heavy Rain

Postby Slurms Mckenzie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Looks and sounds interesting. Quite nice animations and textures. Hopefully they can pull it off.

article:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/h ... es;title;6

video:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/h ... al-movie-1
I'm looking for the best american beef. Give me fifty burgers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAdC2GtvgRA
Slurms Mckenzie
Smoker

Re: Heavy Rain

Postby Letter3 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:28 pm

That was pretty cool. I kept thinking Chubby Rain, tho.

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Slurms Mckenzie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:29 pm

yeah me too
I'm looking for the best american beef. Give me fifty burgers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAdC2GtvgRA
Slurms Mckenzie
Smoker

Postby Spectre » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Whoa! That looked amazing. Definitely something to keep our eye's on.
After five years I've died, and became an annoying cloud. Yep, that was worth it.
Spectre
Chell

Postby Bodknocks » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 am

I've been keeping my eye on this game, it looks great.

Bodknocks
Barney Calhoun

Postby DeadDisco » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:35 am

Here's another one from earlier this year that shows a bit of gameplay.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/h ... cial-movie

I'm not a huge fan of quick time events, but the premise of the game seems pretty interesting.
DeadDisco
Pit Worm

Postby mr. hungry » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:13 pm

Im not really sure what to think of this, storyline looks to need some work but overall the quality of the game looks real nice
Hi mr. hungry may i call you so?
mr. hungry
Infected

Postby Letter3 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:22 pm

Yeah it does look good, but like jones, I am not a big fan of quick events.

Letter3
The G-Man

Postby mr. hungry » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:32 am

Thats true but maybe this is just the beginning of this story like maybe there is more to come...
Hi mr. hungry may i call you so?
mr. hungry
Infected

Postby Letter3 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 pm

I played the Demo tonight on my ps3 and it definitely intrigued me. So here is my short review from the Demo.

Like the article above mentions, it does have quick events galore, so if you can't stand them, then this game is not for you. The controls are less than fantastic as well, so overall moving around and doing stuff takes 4 steps and 9 clicks/movements when it should just take 2. Holding R2 makes you walk. Moving the left joystick changes directions. The other joystick is used for quick events that require a movement such as down and 15mins to the left to complete a task. Sometimes quick events are ganged together, so you are holding multiple buttons to complete tasks. Overall, I thought the controls were a little annoying at times and would definitely take time to overcome the frustration.

The graphics are pretty good. The rain and overall feel of the game is great and the textures look very smooth and real. The people have to be gigs of data because they are fantastic. I kept staring at the close ups because the eyes are so real looking and the hands and everything has been carefully crafted. At least for the main characters. Some of the randy characters could have been better, which I feel like they dropped the ball on. I mean why spend so much time on certain details, only to leave some things less than perfect. I guess it was probably time and money, but I think they have done the best job to date of realism in a game, at least as far as I have seen.

The storyline was not too in depth in the demo, but from the short trailer after the demo, it looks baller. Basically, you play at least two characters, from what I can tell in the demo and you are trying to find the Origami Killer(no relation to the IceTruck Killer). There is a decision support tree built into the game and you choose from a few questions to ask witnesses, investigators, other people and each question you ask leads to more opening up while others may not be available again and eventually you get cut off, so you hope you asked what you needed to know. The obvious debacle comes to mind, can I really change the outcome of the game or speed of play of the game by asking right or wrong questions? Well I have no idea. I would have to read up more on the game. Games like the GTAs have tried this in the past and it only kinda works with basically a good reward/crappy reward system. I did however really like how the game seemed to be unfolding from the demo and trailer.

Overall, I am not sure. The demo was just long enough to not hate quick events, only strongly dislike them. The graphics were very good in some scenes and somewhat lacking in others. Close ups were good, but sometimes the overall scene seemed to be less than fluid at times and 'generated' rather than natural. I am curious as to the storyline, but there are so many quick events to even just move around and do the littlest thing. I will probably have to play the demo again to make up my mind, maybe rent it for a weekend and see how it goes.

I give it a “Mission Accomplished” status and a “Don’t Buy” rating. Now there's a reason to celebrate!

Letter3
The G-Man

Next

Return to Playtime Pizza Theater