[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Arrested Development Clan • View topic - Boot Manager
 Login

Boot Manager

Moderator: Letter3

• Author
Boot Manager

Postby Psychopomp » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:55 pm

Ok so first my setup:

I have 3 operation systems;
hard drive one (1.5 TB) has vista and windows 7
hard drive two (250 GB) has vista (my old version)

So now i want to remove my old drive the 250 gb. However what happens when I remove the second hard drive is that neither the windows vista or 7 boots on hard drive one.

It says boot failure or something of that nature and wants me to use the windows boot disc, so I tried that and then used system restore and attempted to repair the startup but it didn't do anything.

Also when I use the restore option it doesn't list my hard drive or the operation systems to actually check, but they are there because if i go to load drivers I can access the hard drive and all the files.

So it appears as though the windows boot manager is only on hard drive two but I don't know how to get in on the other drive.

oh and when i only have hard drive two connected the boot manager come up and still lists all 3 operating systems
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Psychopomp
Demoman

Re: Boot Manager

Postby Letter3 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:27 am

Is it possible to put your data onto one or the other and then re-format and re-install on one of them or is that too much hassle?

I have never tried to do that and did not know you could have a boot manager on your secondary drive, but I guess if you installed Vista on your new drive while your other drive was installed, then Windows must have gotten confused.

Can you unhook the 250 and boot from the CD and load the newer install of Vista?

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Psychopomp » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 pm

reformat = not an option

and no, when I unhook the 250 and boot from the cd it just goes into the install options or the repair options, whichever I choose. But under repair options when I try to repair the startup it doesn't even list the vista or 7 that are on the hard drive. Then there is an option that says if nothing shows up to install drivers for the hard drive but that doesn't make any sense nor do I have any drivers for the hard drive.

is there another place that has boot options other than the system configuration?

Psychopomp
Demoman

Postby rekon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 am

Your MBR or master boot record is on the 250 gig HD. You need to build a new MBR on your 1.5 TB and make sure it's Master on your motherboard and on the dipswitches in the back. Is it a SATA? If it is, make sure you load it as your primary HD. Hope this helps!
^^ and that's the bottom line.

rekon
Corporal Adrian Shephard

Postby Psychopomp » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:01 am

right but i did not know how to build a new mbr and yes they are both sata

but I figured it out.

first i used the vista boot cd and got into command prompt and used the command boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
and then i tried to rebuild the bcd data using bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
but that didn't work because it said element not found
so I had to then activate my partitions
so i got back into command prompt and used diskpart
then used select disk 0
then select partition 1
then I typed active
and that set those to active and restarted
this allowed the vista boot cd to then see the partitions
and i was then able to use the repair startup feature
which resetup the boot manager
and then it works!!

Psychopomp
Demoman

Postby shannizzle » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:10 am

... this is like a totally different language to me, how do you know this crap?!?!?!

Good job fixing it though, I know it was really pissing you off :)
shannizzle
Barnacle

Postby Letter3 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks Doege! You're a genius! :P

I had this problem after cleaning my computer this weekend and after following your instructions exactly, I fixed it!

"Other Thoughts: THERE ARE SO GOOD A GOT TWO"
Letter3
The G-Man

Postby Scavengeriot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:03 am

crap I hope that doesn't happen to me if my MBR gets screwed up I have 5 HDDs to Tend to :?
Hates Mondays since 1990 till the day I die.

Scavengeriot
Pit Worm

Return to Help